As the years pass, technology progress and people flourish. There are more than seven billion people in the world and those numbers are still counting. With an estimate of 165,000 births and only 68,000 deaths each day, the world population will be projected to grow exponentially. Population growth also depends on the demographic and each country.
Take a look at the list of the top 20 most populous countries on earth. The data presented on this list is based in the latest estimates of the United Nations Population Division as of 2017. Some results may differ from other websites. But take note that these results are only estimates.
List Of The Most Populous Countries In The World
1. China (1,388,232,693)
– China ranks first as the most populous country on earth. The Chinese population is equivalent to 18.47 percent of the total population of the world. Almost 60% of the population of China is urban. In addition, China’s median age is 37.3 years.
2. India (1,342,512,706)
– India currently ranks second as the most populous country in the world. The population of India is equivalent to 17.86 percent of the world’s total population. Also, 32.8% of the population of India is mainly urban. The median age in India is 26.9 years.
3. U.S.A. (326,474,013)
– The United States of America is on the third place in the world’s most populous countries list. The population density in the U.S. is 92 people per square mile. The overall population of the U.S. is equals to 4.34 percent of the total population of the world. The United States median age is 38.1 years. About 82.9 percent of the total U.S. population is urban.
4. Indonesia (263,510,146)
– Indonesia is a Southeast Asian country that ranks fourth on the list of the world’s most populous nations. Its population is equivalent to 3.51 percent of the total world population and the median age in Indonesia is 28.6 years.
5. Brazil (211,243,220)
– Brazil’s total population is equivalent to 2.81 percent of the world’s total population. With a total land area of 3,223,689 square miles, Brazil has a population density of 66 people per square mile. In particular, 31.7 years is the median age in Brazil.
6. Pakistan (196,744,376)
– Pakistan is the sixth most populous country in the world. About 39.2 percent of Pakistan’s population is urban. The median age in Pakistan is 22.7 years. The demographic history of Pakistan includes the arrival and settlement of different cultures in modern regions of Pakistan coming from the Middle East, Central Asia and Europe.
7. Nigeria (191,835,936)
– Nigeria is an African country that ranks seventh on the list of the world’s most populous country. It is equivalent to 2.55 percent of the world’s overall population. About 50% of Nigeria is urban. In Nigeria, the median age is 18 years. Its capital city is Abuja.
8. Bangladesh (164,827,718)
– Bangladesh is a country located in South Asia that currently ranks eighth in the world’s most populous country. Considering its total land area of just 50,260 square miles, the population density in Bangladesh is 3,279 people per square meter. Also, the median age in Bangladesh is 26 years.
9. Russia (143,375,006)
– Russia is one of the most powerful countries in the world. In terms of population, it takes the ninth spot in the world’s most populous nations. About 73.2 percent of the population in Russia is urban and the median age is 38.9 years. Its capital is Moscow.
10. Mexico (130,222,815)
– Mexico is tenth on the list of the world’s most densely populated countries. its capital is Mexico City. Likewise, the total population density in Mexico is 174 people per square mile. The 78.4 percent of the population in Mexico is urban, and the median age is 27.8 years.
11. Japan (126,045,211)
– Japan is one of the most advanced countries in the world. It is number 11 on the list of the most densely populated countries on earth. Its population density is 896 people per square mile. A whopping 94.5 percent of Japan’s population is urban. Japan’s median age is 46.9 years.
12. Ethiopia (104,344,901)
– Ethiopia is a country that can be found in the African continent. It ranks as the 12th most populous country in the world. Its capital city is Addis Ababa. Only 20.3 percent of the population of Ethiopia is urban. In Ethiopia, the median age is 18.9 years.
13. Philippines (103,796,832)
– The Philippines is an archipelago located in Southeast Asia. It is the 13th most populous country in the world, by far. Its capital is Manila and the median age in the Philippines is 24.4 years. In addition, 44.8 percent of the country’s total population is urban.
14. Vietnam (95,414,640)
– With close the a hundred million in terms of population, Vietnam sits comfortably at the number 14 spot of the world’s most populated countries. Its capital city is Hanoi, and the median age in Vietnam is 30.8 years. About 34.7 percent of the country’s population is urban.
15. Egypt (95,215,102)
– Egypt is currently the 15th most populous country in the world. The median age in the country is 24.8 years. In addition, the population density in Egypt is 248 people per square mile. The capital city of Egypt is Cairo. Furthermore, Egypt is considered as a regional and middle power.
16. Congo (82,242,685)
– The Democratic Republic of Congo is a Central African country that currently ranks 16th on the list of the world’s most populous country. There are 94 people per square mile in Congo and the median age is 17 years. Also, about 39.8% of the entire country is urban. The capital of Congo is Kinshasa.
17. Iran (80,945,718)
– Iran is a country in the Middle East that ranks 17th as the world’s most populous country. Its capital is Tehran and 74.8 percent of the entire country is urban. Also, the median age in Iran is 30.1 years. The total population density in Iran is 129 people per square mile.
18. Germany (80,636,124)
– Germany is a country located in Western Europe. Its capital is Berlin and it is the 18th most populous country on Earth. The median age in Germany is 46.4 years and 77.3 percent of the entire population is Urban. There are an estimate of 599 people per square mile that can be found in Germany.
19. Turkey (80,417,526)
– Turkey is a country where the East meets the West. Its capital is Ankara and it is number 19 on the list of the most populous country on Earth. In Turkey, the median age is 30.2 years. About 72.3 percent of the population is urban, and the population density is 271 people per square mile.
20. Thailand (68,297,547)
– Thailand is the top 20 most densely populated country in the world. Its capital is Bangkok and the median age is 38.5 years. About 52.5 percent of the population is urban and the population density is 346 people per square mile.